Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Theme Thursday - Light


When I think about light the first thing that pops into my mind is the light at the end of the tunnel. You know how often in movies when someones knocked out or dazed or injured someone jumps in and tells that character stay away from the light! As if the light means some sort of passing to the after life.
I thought what if the light isn't the afterlife but hope of the afterlife. Then the tunnel could signify any sort of hardship, and the light is the foreseeable hope. Like is aforementioned movie character died, going towards the light would be hope of heaven.
Hope being something that's bright and shining and essential to navigate through life with.
One of those shining lights that my mum has been giving me a lot recently and although most of the time she's told me I've wanted to slap her and tell her to shut up (something I'd never do. . . well the first half). My first and only girlfriend broke up with me, well a while ago now. I seeing all the light in the situation now. My mum throughout all those month has been reminding me that I am a nice boy, and there are plenty of nice girls out there for me. The reason I wanted to slap her was because at the time immediately and a while after the break up it felt like there was no one else for me and that the world was a very unhappy place. Now however that piece of encouragement is a shining light of hope in my future. Probably not immediate, but hey I'm year 13! and next year Uni! I've got life experiences to have!
Another bright and shining hope was yesterday after my canoe polo game, I was chatting with a guy on my team we were talking about our plans for next year. When I told him I wanted to go do medicine and become a doctor. Rather than being negative like so many other people before him, he immediately asked me what specialty I'd be interested in. I could have kissed him! (Figuratively speaking of course!). That sort of encouragement made my day! The fact that someone from my school that didn't know me amazingly well thought I could become a doctor, and didn't laugh, or say something like, "So you do all the sciences then?" Or "I hear it's hard work." I guess that was more of a lamp post in my tunnel than hope. It still made my day.

I'm aware that this theme thursday post could possibly be seen as a twist on the theme, but hey whats life without a bit of spice?
Anyway what are the lights at the end of your tunnels?

13 comments:

Brian Miller said...

please enlighten me...what is canoe polo?

Tom said...

a lot of 40 year olds don't know what they want to do with their lives...count yourself lucky, and just do it!

Nanc Twop said...

`
Nice honest post, bravo.

And if you have a video of your canoe polo game, we'd love to see it... ;-)

Jill from Killeny Glen said...

Go to medical school! Just do it.

Sam said...

@Brian Miller & @Nanc Twop

Canoe Polo is played in a pool, 5 a side, in canoes. One goalie which guards a goal that is suspended above the pool. The stratagies are quite unique, mostly simular to basketball, but also not at all. I'l get a video next week. It's a really fun game to play. Even though I'm not very pro yet. ;)

Austin said...

Honestly, I'm stoked about the video of this as well, having some canoes!

Gabriela Abalo said...

I like your take on the theme...
positive encouragement is light indeed!
It is nice to have people that encourage us to believe in ourselves.

Nice post

Monkey Man said...

Or is the light at the end of the tunnel enlightenment. As in you are now enlighted knowing there is more than one girl in this world deserving of your attention. Lighten up. *smiles*

California Girl said...

Your thoughts and writing are most enjoyable. It's wonderful to read your perspective and remember what it was like to be your age. Nice job.

Me said...

I enjoyed reading this, such an honest post.

Good for you for setting goals and dreaming dreams.
-C

Baino said...

Outdone yourself this time Switch. We mother's do have a way of showing the light you now even though you think we're bloody annoying and I can't imagine anyone would make fun of you for aspiring to a medical degree. Go for it!

American Starchild said...

Great post Sam. If I recall correctly I think I said something like 'its hard to get into med school' Reading about the other negative rractions you've had I feel kind of guilty now. But Your right, there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and perhaps the light for you is your Med Degree

Sam said...

Haha I know its hard! Even my mum's saying well if you don't get in you can always do this. . . One day at a time! If we worry about what could happen we forget everything around us that IS happening.