Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Theme Thursday - Triangle

When I was five, my school had a nativity play. I had wanted so badly to play the triangle. It had been my instrument of choice all through kindergarten. Every music time I would wrestle to get my triangle, I thought I was amazing at it. When my nativity play had come along, the day where everyone got there instruments went by, and that was my first sick day. It was also my first field trip. I missed out on too major things that day!


I hadn't really cared to much about the field trip it was to a car museum, I wasn't a car kid. I was a train kid. Thomas was what I had for everything. I had enough track to go all the way around the couch in the lounge!


What really got me upset was the next day when I was feeling better and we had the first nativity play practice. I turned up, when I heard what was going on I went straight for the triangle! Was I upset when Miss Martin told me that the triangle was being played by my class room Nemesis, Christian. I disliked that kid as much as I disliked Jaden from Kindergarten who always pulled my hair, as far as I can remember he did nothing to deserve my dislike. That was over 12 years ago, and five year olds aren't renowned for having Nemesis' for legitimate reasons.


I remember crying at morning tea time, for ages. My teacher came out to check on me and brought me a new instrument one I'd never seen before. She said she'd saved me the most important Job in the whole room 1 orchestra! I was excited, I had no idea how to use my new instrument though. Gently she explained, you use it like this and she showed me. It became immediately obvious what my task was! I was to be the donkeys feet noise. Joyously I practiced, clip, clop, clip, clop. I was brilliant. Donkey's have never, and never will walk with that much enthusiasm and bad rhythm.

I don't remember much about the nativity play, except me playing the clip clop on the donkeys for the one scene. Their were other donkey walkers for the other scenes. I remember one of the angels int the choir got a bleeding nose. Not good in a white dress, or in the middle of a primary school nativity play. It's odd the small things we remember when we think about it.

3 comments:

RA said...

"Donkey's have never, and never will walk with that much enthusiasm and bad rhythm." I believe you LOL
Nice TT!

PattiKen said...

Delightful story, Sam. My son signed up to play the trumpet when he was eight years old. After about a month, the band leader called and asked me to come in. He told me: "I think it might be best if James redirected his talents elsewhere." Seems James couldn't get any sound out of the trumpet.

Too bad they didn't have the clip-clops. He'd probably have excelled at that.

Baino said...

Hey Sam welcome over to Theme Thursday, any friend of Siobhan's is a friend of mine. Haha enthusiastic donkey! Reminds me of Shrek. Maybe a career as a Foley Artist in the making! Cheers :