Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Theme Thursday - Brush

So recently I watched the Phantom Mini series and I watched Kick Ass today. Last week I saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World. Awesome movie by the way. So I've kinda been thinking about the themes in these shows. Oh my past english teachers would be proud, the obvious one is Superhero, and because in all these the main character goes from a somewhat average person into someone amazing. The Phantom turns from a law student, into a highly trained vigilante agent with a hi-tech bullet proof suit. Suggesting that to be "Super" we need to have funds, and training. In Kick Dave Lizewski goes from being an average high-school student with nothing special about him to a wetsuit dressed idiot who willingly gets his ass kicked several times. Scott Pilgrim fights the battles first as he doesn't know whats going on and is attacked. Then later he fights for Ramona, while finally he fights for self-respect. Which ultimately ends up being his most powerful weapon. Why am I talking about superhero's for theme Thursday you must be wondering, I'm a teenage boy superhero's are awesome! That and I think this weeks theme seems to fit superheros. The one thing that all three before mentioned hero's had was that they were able to brush off attacks, emotions, pain, and get on with what was needed to be done. Get the bad guys, apologise to the girls they've hurt (Scott Pilgrim) so that they can finally get piece forgive him and work as a team to defeat the villain, rescue an injured Hit Girl from a sword wielding Red Mist.

Hero's are everywhere though, think about the guy that plays sport and for some reason always gets majorly taken out, and when you see them go down you always cringe, you can feel the pain of there tumble from across the field. Only moments later though they are jumping up and playing again, saving a goal, making an amazing tackle. Brushing off there pain. You even wonder if they were hurt by the fall until you see them moments later after the ball is away from them and they shake there ankle or clutch there side before the look to the side line for a substitution. That to me is an act of heroism.

9 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice. grew up on superheroes...always wanted to be batman...and the guys that can play through the pain so they dont let their team down..yeah they are heroes too. nice unique take on the theme....

Everyday Goddess said...

very true, heroes are all around, we just have to be on the lookout for them doing the kinds of things that make a difference and make a better place for us.

nice theme thursday!

Stranger said...

I am a major comic book, superhero geek - so I love this post. I cannot wait to see Scott Pilgrim and am pleased by your favorable review. It's true that heroes and the theme brush are related. So often it's a brush with fate that changes their life and forces them to become the heroes they were always meant to be. Every day heroes are even more incredible- they don't need a major push to get them to cross the threshold from average to heroic. Happy Theme Thursday.

One Prayer Girl said...

I appreciated your take on the theme for Theme Thursday. Nicely done.

My TT is posted.

PG

Julie said...

IMHO heroes only exist in real life. They cannot exist in any form of virtual life. Nice to read your take on the theme and on heroes.

Austin said...

Great take on the theme, and I'm 32 and I love superhero's!

PattiKen said...

Heroes are indeed all around us. And most are the mild-mannered unremarkable folks you would never guess were superheroes underneath. They are just waiting for their brush with opportunity, and then they're off. "Look, up in the sky! Is it..."

The Silver Fox said...

I write about comics and superheroes quite often on my blog. I've been reading them until fairly recently, I've sold them, bought them, collected them, and even written some. So I really enjoyed your take on the theme. Take care.

Baino said...

Nah I'm afraid I don't share your sporting hero theory. But I agree heroes are all around us, unsung and unfound in many cases. I'm still waiting to discover my super power, I think it has something to do with making lasagne