Thursday, August 12, 2010

Phillip

Today I woke up and felt ill. Managed to convince my mum I was sick which meant breakfast in bed which was a nice treat. Well less like breakfast more like a snack. I'm not sure a cupcake, some panadol a Milo and a glass of water constitute a breakfast. Anyway having a sick day made me think hm... I could learn all about my chemistry today. Then hopefully I could understand Acid & Bases and Organic. Of course being a lazy teenager I went and caught up on T.V. I watched True Blood, Survivors, NCIS and two episodes of the Mentalist. Good show that last one.

Anyhow I'm avoiding what this post is really supposed to be about. I got an email from my football coach, with "Phillip" in the subject line. My first thought was perhaps someone pressed the wrong button and had emailed me there selection for player player. When I opened it I read some shocking news. My Coach was emailing us to inform us that Phil a member of our team and his son had died last night at about 8.45 in a car crash.
Phil was only a little bit older than me. He was a nice guy. He offered to give me Woodstock when I told him I was going to a party one week. He was the guy in the team that always asked everyone what plans they had for the weekend. He was the guy that first talked to me when I joined the team at the beginning of the season. He was friendly with everyone. I guess now he's gone. We weren't close or anything. He's someone I've seen almost every week all winter. He's was the guy that would sub off and let me get more match time. Partly cause he was knackered, partly so he could hold his girlfriends hand.
To be honest its more odd than anything. Odds not the right word. I guess I'm still shocked. Someone I saw on Tuesday at practice who I was quite proud of myself for skinning (Zooming past him in a game with the ball and leaving him in the dust), Isn't going to be at our last game of the season.

Our game tomorrow has been postponed. Our coach contacted the competition organisers.

No comments: