Monday, February 14, 2011

Otago Update


So I'm a bit slack at blogging, tbh I forgot completely about my blog so it was nice to see some encouraging comments!
Uni's alright, not that its started yet, the summer school course I'm on is pretty intense with about 5 & 1/2hrs of physics class time then about an hour of homework, but its less than I'll have to do when the semester starts! I've been told a minimum of 8hrs studying + a day more if I want to make the cut. Which is basically a 9-5 job + a bit of over time so not unreasonable if you work 6 days a week for 8-9 hrs. Luckily it wont all be physics cause that stuff is a bit argh when it gets beyond ones self or the answer doesn't come after a few minutes of pondering, I'll have chem & bio & anatomy as well! So at least a few different things to do when my brain feels like its going to explode with numbers! Not that I don't enjoy this new physics stuff, its quite fun when you look at a question and are like a hah! I know how to solve that! :)

The university itself is pretty awesome lots of old buildings (well on a NZ scale) The room in the temporary hostel im staying in at the moment looks out over a bell tower. I'm moving on friday though to my hostel for the whole year I'm excited, a permanent uni-base a new uni "family" and a room twice the size! (Not to mention the one I'm moving to is supposed to have MUCH better food!).
Theirs about 200 spots in med school for people doing
the first year course I am and over 1400 people on the course! Of course some people arent aiming for med, and some well you don't have to have a PHD to figure out that they're really here to party. Oh well only 36 weeks of my life give it my all and then I'll know if this is for me or not! Whoop!

I've already hooked into canoe polo down here which is awesome I'm getting in as much time on the water before things get even more intense. They're really nice down here all the older canoe polo guys are happy to train us up and are basically just happy for the company which is good cause otherwise they'd quickly get feed up with my crap-ness. Learning lots of new skills and should be able to smash the locals when I get back to Christchurch. . Well at least have improved heaps!!!

1 comment:

harrisam said...

Hi Nef, ignore the stats re getting into med school and most definitely ignore all the swats waiting in the dinner q trying to psych you out about how much study they have fitted in. ?Plan B could be Dentistry school - shorter course, a tad more expensive, NO post grad training required...downside...all your patients expect you to inflict pain on them and thereby hate you.... Might be coming up for an USS course at some stage so will be sure to take you out for dinner since you claim to be a poor starving student....ah those were the days....